Please print our Statement of Compassion form for Religious leaders and religious/civic organizations and ask your minister to sign on.
If your church, synagogue, mosque, or other community organization would like to sign a statement of support please propose the statment and send it to the address (at the bottom of the form) when the statement has passed.
"We agree that: Licensed health care providers should not be punished for recommending the medical use of marijuana to seriously ill people, and seriously ill people should not be subjected to criminal sanctions for using medical marijuana if their health care provider * has told the patient that such use is likely to be beneficial."
* Refers to personnel charged under current law to prescribe medicine
Though we will certainly accept other statements of support, we feel that this statement is focused and represents our vision well.
Statements of Support:
Drug Laws and Policy Position
LWV Texas considers substance abuse and drug addiction public health issues. We support the following preventive measures:
- Educational programs aimed at keeping children from using drugs.
Public education programs directed toward adults.
Sterile needle and syringe programs to prevent blood-borne diseases.
- These measures should be funded by all levels of government plus the private sector.
- Laws regarding drug abuse and drug addiction should include drug treatment programs as an alternative to incarceration.
- Laws regarding drug abuse and drug addiction should include no criminal penalties for cannabis (marihuana) possession when recommended by a physician.